MENU ORWELL DECORATIVE & FINE ARTS SOCIETY
Click here to view future visits

DateVisit
17 October 2018THE FRY GALLERY, SAFFRON WALDEN with THE ABBEY, COGGESHALL
25 September 2018PRESIDENT'S TOUR 2018 - 3 DAYS (2 NIGHTS) VISITING YORKSHIRE
26 June 2018COLUMBINE HALL, NR. STOWUPLAND - Please note change of date
17 May 2018BELCHAMP HALL, NR. SUDBURY
08 April 2018EARSHAM HALL, NORFOLK
12 December 2017NORWICH & THE ROYAL FABERGÉ EXHIBITION
03 October 2017BUTLEY PRIORY, SUFFOLK
20 September 2017PRESIDENT'S TOUR 2017 - 3 DAYS (2 NIGHTS) VISITING SHROPSHIRE & WORCESTERSHIRE
25 May 2017WINGFIELD CHURCH & COLLEGE, LUNCHING AT THE RECENTLY RE-OPENED DE LA POLE ARMS
20 April 2017THE FISHER THEATRE, BUNGAY & KIRSTEAD HALL
22 March 2017"EMMA HAMILTON - SEDUCTION AND CELEBRITY" EXHIBITION AT THE NATIONAL MARITIME MUSEUM, GREENWICH
01 December 2016PALACE HOUSE, NEWMARKET
18 October 2016SHAKESPEARE'S GLOBE WITH TATE MODERN
20 September 2016PRESIDENT'S TOUR 2016 - 3 DAYS (2 NIGHTS) VISITING NORTHANTS, WARWICKSHIRE & WORCESTERSHIRE
23 June 2016ART and the NEW TOWN - THE INFLUENCE OF SIR FREDERICK GIBBERD CBE, RA
12 May 2016CASTLE ACRE & HINDRINGHAM HALL
14 April 2016HATFIELD HOUSE & THE OLD TUDOR PALACE
17 March 2016CAMBRIDGE & THE FITZWILLIAM MUSEUM
14 November 2015ELY CATHEDRAL'S CHRISTMAS GIFT & FOOD FAIR 2015
05 October 2015ELTON HALL & GARDENS
22 September 2015PRESIDENT'S TOUR 2015 - 3 DAYS (2 NIGHTS) VISITING KENT AND EAST SUSSEX
20 July 2015ELTHAM PALACE and RANGER'S HOUSE
28 May 2015AN EVENING VISIT TO SWORDERS, FINE ART AUCTIONEERS at STANSTED MOUNTFITCHET
30 April 2015BIRMINGHAM MUSEUM & ART GALLERY
10 February 2015EXHIBITION OF ECCLESIASTICAL EMBROIDERY at ELY CATHEDRAL
14 November 2014ELY CATHEDRAL'S "CHRISTMAS GIFT AND FOOD FAIR 2014"
25 October 2014IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM "TRUTH AND MEMORY: BRITISH ART IN THE FIRST WORLD WAR"
24 September 2014PRESIDENT'S TOUR 2014 - 24th, 25th & 26th SEPTEMBER
29 July 2014STRAWBERRY HILL HOUSE - A GOTHIC MASTERPIECE
01 May 2014ELY CATHEDRAL AND THE STAINED GLASS MUSEUM
29 March 2014THE CHEAPSIDE HOARD and HEART OF THE CITY WALK
05 December 2013MASTERPIECES: ART AND EAST ANGLIA - AT THE SAINSBURY CENTRE FOR VISUAL ARTS, NORWICH
31 October 2013WINDSOR CASTLE AND THE ROYAL PAINTBOX EXHIBITION
25 September 2013PRESIDENT’S TOUR - VISITING BUCKS, OXON & LEICS
18 May 2013Mariners and Monarchs - Historic Greenwich

Click on a row and scroll to display more details about the visit

THE FRY GALLERY, SAFFRON WALDEN with THE ABBEY, COGGESHALL
Wednesday 17 October 2018

For the first time, the Fry Art Gallery in Saffron Walden is to dedicate a full season and all of its gallery space to a single exhibition: Edward Bawden at Home. The show will include around 200 artworks and other items. These will be displayed in the Gallery which Bawden helped to establish and which is just a short walk from the home in Saffron Walden in which he spent his last nineteen years. The backbone of the exhibition will be formed from the Fry Art Gallery’s own collection of Bawden’s art and associated archival objects. These will be complemented by illustrations of Bawden’s home, including work by his close friend Eric Ravilious with whom he first visited Great Bardfield and with whom he lived at Brick House for two years. A number of items on loan will complete the exhibition, including some from friends and family which have not previously been on public display.

There will be time for lunch, at your own expense, in Saffron Walden, before we travel to The Abbey, Coggeshall for our guided tour after which we’ll have tea & cakes.  The Abbey was founded by King Stephen and his wife Matilda in 1140. Originally it was a Savignac Abbey – a French order from Normandy. They were a breakaway movement from the Benedictines whom they thought had become too worldly. By 1167 the Abbey Church, some 210 feet long, was completed and the high altar dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. John the Baptist by Gilbert Foliot, Bishop of London. Much of the rest of the Abbey would have been completed by then, including the infirmary around which the Tudor house was built. St. Nicholas’s chapel was built in circa 1220 as the chapel outside the gate house.  During the first half of the 13th century the present course of the river Blackwater was constructed, possibly for three reasons. Firstly, to provide a head of water to drive the Abbey Mill. Secondly, to help overcome any flood problems – one side of the river bank is 3 inches lower than the other to enable the water to flow into the large water meadow. Thirdly, to make use of the canalised river, largely dug out by the lay monks, as a means of communication from the Abbey to Coggeshall with shallow punt-like boats.  In 1518 Sir John Sharpe had a lease with the Abbey for his mansion house, subsequently a 99 year lease was purchased by Clement Harleston for the same property in 1528. This lease was still held by Clement Harleston at the time of the Dissolution on 5th February 1538. He may have been responsible for saving the buildings that stand today, as the rest of the Abbey including the Abbey Church, Cloisters and Chapter House was ‘clene prostate’ by 1541.

Tickets are now on sale and will be available at our first lecture of the season on Wednesday 5th May, or by using the Contact Us button.